Doughies has gone back to School.
Not to learn about bread, but to learn about social enterprise.
We have been attending a six day course being run by the Social Enterprise Acadamy held at the Voluntary Action Lochaber facility in Claggan, Fort William (a very interesting place I only recently discovered).
Day 1 and 2 now completed 🙂
There is just a small group on the course intimately talking, trusting and nurturing ideas in a safe creative environment.
Learning points so far:-
- Kolbs leaning cycle – the different types of learning / learner – activists, reflectors, theorists and pragmatist – decided I’m an activist with pragmatic tendancies.
- Explored the different sectors (public, private and third sector) and the enterprise vehicles / governances in each sector – very excited about some third sector governances such as community interest companies, which seem to suit doughies a lot more than its current private partnership setup.
- The triple bottom line of a social enterprise – people planet and profit (i.e. not just money)
- How this triple bottom line mindset has led to the The social enterprise code and what that voluntary code means
- Business plans, grants and funding options, and exploring the why of our ideas (interesting TED talk here by Simon Sinek regarding why – the golden circle)
Quite excited to share more as the course develops – Day 3 and 4 (May), and Day 5 & 6 (June) – more to follow….